The following guidelines have been put in place to cover the use of data from or pertaining to the works created by RebRank. These guidelines also apply to the secondary use of such works and to derivative works based on those created by RebRank.
Please contact RebRank (non-Steam version; Japanese) or Degica (Steam version of RefRain, and related soundtrack, etc only: English or Japanese) via email when uncertain about the guidelines pertaining to data use or when a final decision concerning permissible use cannot be reached.
These guidelines may be added to or amended by RebRank when appropriate.
Additionally, these guidelines may not necessarily apply in the case that data use proves disadvantageous to RebRank or to applicable rights holders.
All decisions regarding whether or not specific actions violate these guidelines will be made solely by RebRank. No other organizations or individuals are to make any such decisions.
Please contact RebRank in the event that questionable activity is detected.
Guidelines exist in both Japanese
and English, but in the case that they differ from one another, the Japanese will be taken to be correct.
- [ Guidelines pertaining to game software ]
- As a general rule, any activity that is disadvantageous to RebRank is prohibited.
- The copying, modification, use for profit or resale of software without the express permission of RebRank is prohibited.
However, there are no such restrictions for back-up copies made for the personal use of the software owner.
- The preparation of software content for transmission to the general public is prohibited, except with the express permission of RebRank.
- The modification or renaming of part or all of any given data content for transmission to the general public is prohibited, except with the express permission of RebRank.
Modification and reverse engineering is freely permitted for personal use only.
- If it is established that software or other data has been obtained illegally, it will become fundamentally ineligible for any customer support.
- Please contact RebRank in advance in the instance that an article is to be published in a magazine or similar media, or if a demo version or similar version is to be released.
*If any distribution is planned, please obtain approval from RebRank in advance.
- [ Guidelines pertaining to image files ]
- The following conditions apply to the use of image files from games.
As a general rule, any activity that is disadvantageous to RebRank is prohibited.
- Examples of fundamentally permissible usage
- The publishing of screenshot images in online articles or walkthroughs is freely permissible. No contact with RebRank is required.
- The secondary use of images used, published and distributed via RebRank's website is permitted for personal use only.
- Examples of fundamentally unacceptable usage
- As a general rule, the secondary use of original image files from games, or duplicated or modified versions of same (scaled or cut versions, for example) is prohibited.
- The secondary use of a game's original image files within another game, or the distribution or publication of such image files within another game's packaging, is prohibited.
- The preparation for transmission to the general public of artwork, text and design included within published art books is prohibited.
The term "art books" as used above is defined as including original book or booklet files, duplicated or converted versions of said files, and both direct and indirect photographic or scanned copies of the content included within any such art books.
Additionally, the secondary use of duplicated or modified versions of such files (scaled or cut versions, for example) is prohibited.
- The secondary use of original image files, or duplicated or modified versions of same (scaled or cut versions, for example) included within art books whose data has been released digitally by RebRank, is prohibited.
- Guidelines pertaining to the use of screenshot images
The following conditions apply to the use of screenshot images.
- The use of screenshot images in articles unrelated to the work from which the images were taken may cause confusion, and is to be avoided.
- Out of consideration for users who have not yet cleared the game, screenshot images from the ending sequence of a game should not be released.
- While the release of screenshots from extra stages or of bonus elements is not prohibited, these screenshots contain spoilers and any release should be kept to a minimum.
When such images are used in walkthroughs or guides, text should be included indicating that these are extra stages or bonus elements, or that spoilers are contained.
- Modification of screenshot images through scaling, cutting or the addition of explanatory text is permitted, but all images must maintain the aspect ratio of the original.
- If a screenshot image is planned for use in a magazine or preview article, please contact RebRank prior to publication.
- [ Guidelines pertaining to gameplay footage ]
- As a general rule, the saving, creation, release and distribution on video websites of gameplay footage is permitted.
- Modification of gameplay footage through scaling, cutting or the addition of explanatory text is permitted, but all footage must maintain the aspect ratio of the original.
- In all other respects, the guidelines pertaining to the use of gameplay footage are in accordance with the above guidelines pertaining to the use of still images.
- [ Guidelines pertaining to replay files ]
- Replay files created in-game may be freely released for public consumption.
However, the following issues must be noted.
- Replay files created prior to any version updates may not be compatible with the latest version of the title in which they were created.
While every effort is made to maintain compatibility between versions, there are instances in which incompatibility cannot be avoided.
- For reasons of compatibility, it is recommended that the version with which the replay file was created is specified at the time of posting.
- [ Guidelines pertaining to music data ]
- The following conditions apply to the use of music data included within game packaging (OGG format, etc.) and game soundtrack music data.
- Examples of fundamentally permissible usage
- Private use of music data, such as downloading for play using a portable music player or conversion to MIDI or other formats for use as a ringtone, is permitted.
- Arrangements, homages and by-ear reproductions of original works will be fundamentally treated as derivative works.
- Example of fundamentally unacceptable usage
- The preparation for transmission to the general public of original files or copies of said files (simple reproductions or conversions) is prohibited.
- Use of music files on internet radio, video websites, Ustream, and radio as background music in public locations
The use of music files as background music is permissible provided that the following conditions are fulfilled.
- The work from which the music was taken must be indicated in either a visual or auditory manner. (Any attribution method is acceptable.)
- Necessary modification of music files for broadcast (adjustments in volume, fade-in and fade-out processing, etc.) is permitted.
- If official approval for the use of a musical piece is required, please contact RebRank, and approval will be facilitated.
- While not strictly necessary, it is recommended that the broadcaster own a copy of the work from which the broadcast musical piece is taken.
- Permission may be withdrawn should any problems arise.
- While not strictly necessary, it is preferred that RebRank be contacted either before or after use.
- [ General information concerning created works ]
- RebRank's stance is always that "as long as everyone is able to enjoy its works, then it is preferable to have no strict regulations."
- All creativity is welcomed, including modifications and derivative works. As a general rule, no restrictions are placed on creative works.
- The only real requirement is that the fact that the material's source comes from RebRank is indicated, in either a visual or auditory manner.
- When a musical score has been arranged, an indication of the original source is required.
- Please feel free to contact RebRank should any materials or assets be required for a creative work. In certain cases, individual arrangements can be facilitated.
For example, it may be possible to provide such information as details concerning a character's clothing or physical measurements, or such assets as draft sketches or 3-D modeling data.
Further, it should be remembered that any information acquired in this manner should only be considered "reference data." Such data does not come with any specifications or restrictions regarding use or modification.
(Indeed, modification is positively encouraged.)
- While not strictly necessary, if details of any use are provided to RebRank either before or after the fact, it is sure to put a smile on the original creator's face.